The Xcel Bronze gymnastics level is the first level in the Xcel program. To compete gymnastics in the Xcel Bronze Division, the gymnast must be able to do routines that meet these requirements, as stated in the Xcel Code of Points. These requirements are paraphrased for easier comprehension; for precise information always refer to the official book published by USA Gymnastics.
The Xcel Bronze division is one level in the Xcel program; here is more information about all the gymnastics levels.
While these are requirements, some gymnasts compete in the Xcel Bronze level without being able to do all the skills listed below. For what requirements gymnasts don’t fulfill, the judges take deductions.
Want a printable Xcel Bronze Gymnastics Skills Checklist? Click Here to Download
Bronze Vault Requirements
Bronze gymnasts must perform one of the following vaults:
- Stretch jump onto mat and then kick to handstand and fall to flat back OR
- Jump to handstand and fall to flat back
Bronze Bars Requirements
Bronze gymnasts must have the following in their bar routine:
- A minimum of 4 “A” value skills
- A Cast (hips must leave the bar)
- A Circling Skill (not the mount or dismount)
- A Dismount
An example of a routine that meets all the requirements would be: Jump to Front Support- Cast- Back hip circle- Cast off stand dismount.
Bronze Beam Requirements
Bronze gymnasts must have the following in their beam routine:
- Minimum of 1/2 turn on one or two feet
- One jump or leap (ex. tuck jump)
- One non-flight acro skill (ex. forward roll)
- A dismount — not a salto or aerial dismount (ex. straddle jump off the beam)
Bronze Floor Requirements
Bronze gymnasts must have the following in their floor routine:
- Minimum of two directly connected acro skills (ex. roundoff – backward roll)
- A second pass with one acro skill (ex. cartwheel)
- A dance passage with two skills, one of which is a leap with a 60 degree cross or side split — they can be directly or indirectly connected
- Minimum of 1/2 turn on one foot
The next Xcel gymnastics level after Bronze is Silver.