These are the new level 4 gymnastics requirements starting August 2013. These are the skills that make up the new compulsory routine. For more information about how the levels are changing read my article about the Upcoming 2013 Gymnastics Rule Changes.
To compete in level 4 gymnastics a gymnast must be able to do the following skills on each of the four events.
I’ve starred the skills that are generally the hardest for gymnasts to learn and most often prohibit a gymnast from moving on to level 4.
Level 4 Gymnastics Requirements: Vault
- front handspring
Level 4 Gymnastics Requirements: Bars
- straddle or pike glide kip
- cast to horizontal
- squat on
- long hang kip
- back hip circle
Level 4 Gymnastics Requirements: Beam
- split leap to 120 degrees
- split jump to 120 degrees
- cartwheel to side handstand, 1/4 turn dismount
Level 4 Gymnastics Requirements: Floor
- straddle jump with 120 degree split
- front handspring to two feet
- back extension roll
- back walkover
- round-off back-handspring back-handspring*
Once a gymnast can perform all of these skills and she has learned the Level 4 gymnastics compulsory routines, she is ready to compete in a Level 4 meet.