Here is a guide to gifts for your gymnastics coach–just a friendly reminder not to forget about the coaches this Christmas season 🙂
Since a gymnast’s coaches are such a huge part of a gymnast’s success, we should definitely show them some extra appreciation during the holiday season. Many gyms will have some type of holiday party, which is a great reminder to give them something special. Without a party, it might not be on your radar, so just in case here are some gift ideas for your gymnastics coach.
1. Baked Goods – Of course, a nice Thank You note and baked goods are always appreciated, especially if you there are a lot of coaches on your list. I’d recommend putting the treats in a cute jar like this or this with some ribbon and this “Thanks for Being a Sweet Teacher” printable to spruce it up a little!
2. Nice coffee mug/thermos + (Starbucks giftcard) – Since coaches frequently have early morning practices and late night practices to accommodate everyone’s busy school & activities schedules, they probably run on caffeine. This is a great, practical gift for them. Depending on the age and gender of the coach, here are some great ones to choose from:
If you want to go the ‘great coach’ route–here’s a nice coffee mug
Here’s a mug you can personalize with your coach’s name
If you there are a couple coaches you’re buying for, here’s a pack of 6 classic travel mugs that would be great for all ages– slightly more fitting for girls though. You could even fill them with candy or another homemade treat!
For younger gymnasts who might want to personalize their gift–try this design your own mug
For coaches with a good sense of humor– try this mug 🙂
Keep Calm the Coffee’s On Mug– great for all ages/genders
A classic thermos, for the no-nonsense, practical coach
And save yourself some time and buy your Starbucks giftcard online.
3. Kindle – If a whole level/class/team wanted to contribute $5 to $10 per gymnast to buy a nice gift, I think this would be a great present. Coaches are on the road a lot during competitive season, have frequent breaks at the gym in between classes, and breaks between meets. This would be a nice portable gift they could bring around with them. Depending on how many gymnasts there are and how much each person is contributing, you could buy the Kindle with just Wi-Fi, or the one with 3G included as well (for about $70 more dollars). While I think the Kindle is more popular and easy to use, you can also go the Nook route if you prefer.
4. Gymnastics Meet Survival Kit- Gymnastics coaches are constantly dealing with problems at gym meets and putting together a little “Gym Meet Survival Kit” I think would be a cute idea. Put all the items in a small bag (or grip bag!) so they can bring it with them to meets so they are always prepared for issues that come up! They will be thinking about how thoughtful you are all meet season!
- Gym Meet Survival Kit bag– any grip bag, or this Nastia Liukin one
- Athletic Tape– for taping up rips, or taping any other injury
- Bobby Pins– These are multi-colored to blend in–for fixing gymnasts’ hair that just won’t stay put!
- Antibiotic Ointment– for putting on rips with tape
- Hair Ties– You can never have enough, and you never seem to have them at the right moment– now your coach will!
- Hairspray– I know when I coached I always needed hairspray to fix my gymnasts hair!
- Band-Aids– for any small injury
- KIND Bars– a healthy snack to stave off hunger during long meet sessions
- Tylenol– individual 2 packs, you can just put a couple of the packs in the survival kit!
5. Spa in a Basket – When I think of gifts for coaches, I tend to focus on gifts related to relaxation. You can make your own spa in a basket or buy a pre-made one like this one , this one , or this one!
6. Luxury lotion – Along the same lines as the ‘spa in a basket’ idea, nice lotion is always a great gift for women in general, especially women coaches. Being in a chalky gym all day definitely does a number on your skin, especially on your hands. I love this lotion — it works amazing and smells so great!
7. Nike Sportwatch GPS – On the other hand, there are some coaches who are very physically fit and into staying in shape themselves. My sister had a coach who had been a track and field athlete in school, and still worked out every day to stay in shape. Pitching in to buy this GPS watch would be good for coaches who prefer to run outside. Also this would be great for your coach to time warm-ups, runs, workouts etc.
8. Nice glassware/drinkware – While this one may seem surprising, depending on the age of your coach, this might be perfect for them. I know I would love to receive this Sangria set from Target (that is only $20!) paired with a nice bottle of wine. For the guy coaches, some nice beer mugs could work. Although, depending on the setting, it might not be as appropriate to hand over a 6 pack of beers as it is to gift a nice bottle of wine. But, that’s a judgement call we will leave to you 🙂
9. A Keurig coffee maker – This one might seem strange at first, but many coaches own their own gyms. If they have a break room without a coffee maker, giving them a Keurig might be an unexpected but very much appreciated gift– especially for the smaller gyms (since they’re often times family-based and very close knit –> lots of quality time in the break room). Again, this gift would be great if the gymnasts’ families are pooling their money. Definitely throw in a bunch of variety packs of coffee as well to get them going like Newman’s , these Kahlua ones , Cafe Mochas (SO decadent and delicious), some teas etc. You can even buy hot chocolate and apple cider ones too!
10. Nice sweatshirt – Coaches live in t-shirts and sweat shirts so how about a nice sweat shirt to keep them warm in the winter? I think this one is cute! If you don’t like that idea, what about some nice workout clothes they can wear when coaching ?
11. Ornaments – On their tree for years to come!
12. Personalized Gymnastics Coach T-Shirt– Personalize a gymnastics coach t-shirt for your gym coach!
13. Gymnastics Books –
14. Notepads – If your coach is one of those coaches that always has a notebook out making workouts, plans, keeping track of scores etc.
15. Frame – Give a frame with a picture of the group in it or even a collage of a lot of team pictures for them to hang in the gym. Choose either a basic one, or one where the kids can add signatures.
16. Gift Baskets – Because you can never go wrong with giving food!
17. Wine Stoppers –
Mikasa Cheers – Set of 4 Stoppers
Grape Stopper – So appropriate!
Mosaic Bottle Stoppers – Set of 4
18. Nice Vase + Flowers – Simple and classic.
19. Sports Gear – This one is more for those gymnasts/families that really know their coach well. If you know they love a certain college or pro team, you could get a nice t-shirt, jersey, hat etc. Kohls has a great selection of sports paraphernalia and some great deals right now with the post-Thanksgiving sales and of course, you can always count on Amazon (that 2 day shipping is so crucial for the holidays!).
20. Gym Bag – Coaches have a lot of gear to bring too! This might be more appropriate for women coaches, although if your guy coach is sporting a beat-up bag you could try getting a plain, durable bag like this one or go the classic backpack route (depending on which style they wear) . For women, I would also suggest picking out more of a classic bag like this tote that I think is really cute.
I hope you liked my gifts for your gymnastics coach or gymnastics teacher!